If you want to know how to become a better blogger... you'd better ask someone else. I've been blogging for twelve years but I still don't know what I'm doing. I've posted blog-related things like:
- A Hundred Topics I Won't Write About
- Blogs & Blogging Titles, A Quick Guide
- The Blogging And Questions Of Life
- So Much To Read, No Less To Write
- What Makes The Blog
- Blogs & Bloggers
...but I don't follow my own advice half the time. I know the secrets, but I don't want to conform. I could turn this into a business, but I'd rather keep it personal. I'm not greedy. I'm tempted, but when I look at the world and what the capitalist approach has done for it... I think I'll take a different approach.
You probably hear the confidence-booster affirmation
I'm worth more or
I'm worth this a lot, but that doesn't apply to material wealth. It applies to choices. How you live. What you are. Care about the world - because you're worth a better future.
So on this rare topic of blogging, let me give you some solid advice that no one else will, because I feel like selling out today:
- Be yourself, readers will appreciate you for you.
- Don't limit yourself; don't confine yourself to a single topic. Evolve. Open your mind. Don't fear controversy if it helps you grow.
- Stay true to yourself, and as such also to your viewers.
- Care for your blog. Even if it is a business: a good business is like a second home. Make it your second home.
- Write for yourself, even if no one reads. It's easy to start thinking about what everyone else wants, but if you just do you soon others will want to do you too.
- Persevere, because Tukalue wasn't built in a day-
But most importantly: make sure this is what you want to do. If not: do something else. The goals may seem a bit selfish, which is why you probably won't get them elsewhere - because it makes you seem selfish, and giving a selfless impression seems to be the recommended thing to do if you want your blog to prosper. It seems to be working too.
But for who else would you start a blog if not for yourself? If you choose this route it'll be a big part of your life before you know it, so you'd better be ready for a long term commitment. If you do make it a business: make it a business you want to run. When designing a race: design a race you'll want to run yourself, and others will join in.
Make your world, and the world is yours.